If you have the self-confidence to wear a floor-length gown, you might as well go the whole nine yards and incorporate a sweep train, which almost looks like you are gliding when you walk across the floor. Obviously, we are talking about a formal occasion; a prom dance or possibly a gala dinner. If you would like a few tips on how best to manage a floor-length train gown, read on.
- Avoid very high heels – There are two reasons for this, firstly, if you take off 5-inch heels, then you are very likely to trip over your dress and secondly, walking will be more difficult on high heels and if dancing is included, better be safe than sorry. Two or three inches is more than enough, and with the help of a local seamstress, you can have the dress altered to the perfect height. This should be looked at when you have your final dress rehearsal, when you are wearing all of your accessories, and any minor adjustments can be made.
- Correct dress length – While the train will drag, you don’t want to trip over your hem, so it is important that the dress just touches the floor (with your chosen footwear). If you are wondering where to buy 2020 prom dresses online, a Google search is all it takes to view a great selection of floor-length gowns, from top designers such as Sherri Hill and Jovani.
- Trial Walking – The best way to experience how the dress and train behave when walking is to walk. Find an open space and walk at varying speeds, changing direction, which would reveal any potential issues, plus you have time to find a solution. If you would like some further reading on how to wear a full-length dress, there are several articles online that come complete with pictures.
- Climbing Stairs – This can be a real problem and as you approach the staircase, simply lift the front of your dress with both hands, at least 6 inches, which should see you elevate yourself safely. It would be an idea to have a practice run at home with your shoes on, just to discover the level of difficulty, and, never forget that you have the option of removing your shoes. Safety is paramount when wearing a floor-length gown, especially if you are climbing a set of stairs, so don’t take any chances.
- Other People – With a sweep train, you must be careful that others don’t unknowingly step on the dress, as this could easily cause you to stumble and fall, and again, it is a good idea to gather up the excess train in close quarters.
If you have yet to choose your floor-length gown, the best place to start is with the online designer dress boutiques, where you will find the largest selection of top designers, all at affordable prices. Make sure that you allow enough time for your local seamstress to carry out minor adjustments, which is normal when buying a gown.